Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Holiday Season Has Officially Begun

It's official! The holiday season has arrived! 

How do I know? Because the excessive, beautiful, glamourous, etc. etc. etc. holiday windows in New York City are up once again! Holiday windows happen around the world, but NYC is the city I connect this annual, cheerful tradition. High-end luxury stores like Saks, Bergdorf's, Barneys, and Bendel's, promote their excitement for the upcoming increased sales holidays through various, elaborately-designed windows. This isn't your average "dress up the mannequin in a festive red gown and place it next to an overly-decorated christmas tree" holiday window. This is artwork. A show. A historical event. Each year, stores try to do better than their windows from the past... and of course do WAY better than each other. They strive to be THE BEST holiday window in the city! 


It's extremely hard to choose which window "wins", but Refinery29 has chosen the 7 best holiday windows in NYC. Since I'm currently in Boston, I'll have to take their word for it until I can judge the windows myself. However, I am certain of one thing -- pictures do not do these windows justice.


Here are a few of my favorites:


                     Barneys New York, 660 Madison Avenues (at 61st Street)
Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue (at 58th Street)
I love the contrast of colors here.
It really highlights the dress


Bergdorf Goodman, 754 5th Avenue (at 58th Street)

Henry Bendel, 712 5th Avenue (at 56th St)
The Radio City Rockettes were present for the store's
holiday window reveal! The aim of the store's windows
this year is to pay tribute to New York City.

If store windows aren't your thing, what about light shows? Saks Fifth Avenue's annual holiday light show at the 5th Avenue store location is a must-see. This year, Saks teamed up with the agency Iris to create the ultimate, 3D light show that runs for 5 hours every night until January 6th! Did I mention the light show is also accompanied by music? A 3D light show timed perfectly with music on the facade of a building... what's next?!

Just as I said about the holiday windows, it's MUCH better when you see it in person! I'm dying to go!

POGS,
AKtually Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment